Tough economic times can stimulate creative ways for cities to save or raise money. Sure you could trim the workforce, or raise taxes to help fund urban renewal projects, but one Texas town is thinking a bit bigger: they want to take it to the silver screen.

The city of Port Arthur is taking steps to designate their town as ‘film friendly.’ That makes sense when you imagine how much money could be injected into the local economy by having large movie production crews coming to town, but one city councilman hopes a film crew could help clean up their downtown… by blowing up some rundown buildings.

Port Arthur Mayor Pro tempore, Derrick Freeman joins the Texas Standard about where he got the idea.

• Sophia Lorena Crisanty June 25, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Hello how are you , I think it’s a horrible idea to blow up down town in film makings .That’s history we have since 1880 andso On .I’d love to be interested inbuying a building . For my own personal use . I’m a college girl at Lamar Hard working young woman! I love downtown Port Arthur As if it were my Soul !

• Wren Wiltshire April 27, 2015 at 5:34 pm

My sister is a Port Arthur, TX native and a major movie producer in LA.
    It’s not cost effective to travel outside of California when there’s plenty of old buildings there to blow up!

• Anonymous April 23, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I live in Port Arthur 29years and I never see nothing new are to do with the family

• east April 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Why do you need film makers spend their money blowing up the building? Why can’t the city blow it up them self. Spend your money not theirs

• lt April 23, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Why is that better?

• Rhonda Fanning (@RhondaFanning) April 22, 2015 at 9:13 am

Coming up on @TexasStandard @MrCouncilman on Port Arthur’s designation as a film-friendly city. perhaps a few blown up buildings

• Emily Donahue (@EmilyDKUT) April 22, 2015 at 9:04 am

It’s @TexasStandard time. And Port Arthur Wants Filmmakers to Blow Up its Old Buildings: http://t.co/c96G1Eb18A