He was a businessman who liked to brag about his financial success, cracked rape jokes around reporters and kissed “just about every woman within arms’ reach.”

She was a Democrat who shattered many ceilings, with real-world political experience and demanded that her opponent disclose his taxes.

These two also wouldn’t shake hands.

This season’s presidential race is giving a lot of Texans flashbacks of the 1990 gubernatorial race between politician Ann Richards and wealthy businessman Clayton Williams, known as Claytie. In fact, one longtime Texas politico has said that Donald Trump is “Claytie on steroids.”

If this year’s contest turns out anything like Claytie vs. the Lady, there’s one key demographic that can swing the vote.

Margaret Justus, press secretary for former Gov. Ann Richards, says they focused on bringing out women to vote in her showdown with Williams for the governor’s seat in 1990.

“We had women in droves from Dallas County and Harris County come over for Ann,” Justus says.

Justus says Hillary Clinton knew, much like Richards did, that she was a “savvy, experienced politician running against a political neophyte.”

“Trump, though, did have experience being in public light,” she says, “but he did not have experience being a politician under a stark spotlight. And there’s a difference.”

Another similarity between Williams and Trump is their reluctance to release their income tax statements. Justus says the similarities between the two races – 26 years apart – are noticeable, but this year, fewer moderates means fewer opportunities for bipartisanship and election fatigue has set in.

“We had a lot more moderate Republicans who were able to get along with moderate Democrats,” she says. “I hope that with this election we just get it over with, for god’s sake. It just seems like it’s just not going to end. We’ll see something come from the new Republican Party and I hope it’s an opportunity for more reaching across the aisle.”

Post by George Economos.

• Carolyn Wolfe October 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I am always surprised when people say that Hillary Clinton is unlikable- first of all that should not be any kind of a qualifier, but secondly, I find her very likeable, very savvy and very much qualified for the Position as President. She has a laundry list of public service and experience behind her and will make an amazing President. I cannot fathom how Trump ever got this far. It is unbelievable that a bigoted bully like him could even get near the White House and that is saying a great deal about our Country today.

• Troy October 11, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Ann tried to shake his hand at a public event and he refused. It was on video and played over and over on the news. The people of Texas did not like his rudeness and the rest is history!

• Ed Mullery October 11, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I remember the Houston Post headline the day after
    the 1990 Election Day read, “Shake hands with Gov. Richards”

• Curtis Burga October 11, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Just remember, after Richards, the next two governors were those absolute brain trusts of George W. and Rick Perry, which only goes to show how hard that pendulum can swing back…

• chacal October 11, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I think Miguel Ramirez is a troll and not prone to moderate, much less feminist thinking. Get over the likable versus dislikable because you simply sound like a butt hurt macho know nothing.

• Omar Phoenix October 11, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I typed the above comment as Anonymous by mistake because I forgot to add my name.

• MIguel Ramirez October 10, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I was listening to today’s broadcast comparing the presidential race to the gubernatorial race between Ann Richards and Clayton Williams. I was one of the Republican voters who voted for Ann Richards because Clayton Williams, much like Donald Trump, was an arrogant boor. There is one MAJOR difference however. Ann Richards was a likeable woman which Hillary Clinton is not. Ann Richards was an honest politician untainted by scandal, personable and honest which Hillary Clinton is not. Ann Richards was preferable to Clayton Williams; all things said Hillary Clinton is NOT preferable to Donald Trump.

• Anonymous October 11, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Because emails, Benghazi and Bill??? Oh no. What a demon! I’ve spent weeks educating myself about the truth behind Hillary, the scandals with her husband’s consensual affairs, the use of her private server, and her involvement in the attacks at Benghazi. I need people to know that pretty much everything that makes people hate her is hearsay and I would encourage my fellow Texans to look past her inability to show emotion and educate yourselves. It’s easy to go with conspiracies or gossip on social media. She is the most qualified anyone has ever been.

• Elizabeth October 12, 2016 at 9:38 am

First, likeability is a personal problem for you. I find Hillary Clinton incredibly likeable but who honestly cares. TBH – I find most men who run for office arrogant and entitled, but I vote for them anyway because they’re good at their job. I’m sure you’ve heard this, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would recommend checking your misogyny on this one. As for the dishonest and scandal aspects. I think you can invest fully in subscribing to a narrative that has been plaguing her for over a decade or you can look at the core of who is starting it. Hillary Clinton is preferable to Donald Trump in EVERY SINGLE WAY. Failure to realize that is both a failure to truly examine the issues at hand and a failure to reflect on your own biases.