- Sort Stories:
- Arts & Culture Commentary, features, sports, art and other culture stories
- Bug Bites Recurring segment on insects
- Food & Drink
- Kirkus on the Standard Recurring segment with Kirkus Reviews
- Sounds of Texas Sound IDs
- Stories From Texas Stories and commentary from W. F. Strong
- Tacoholic Recurring segment on tacos
- The Whole Truth Occasional segment on anonymous life stories
- Typewriter Rodeo Weekly poem from Typewriter Rodeo
- Weekend Trip Tips Recurring segment on Texas travel
- Where There's Smoke Recurring segment with Texas Monthly's barbecue editor
- Border & Immigration Stories that take place along the Texas-Mexico border or that deal with immigration issues
- Business & Your Money Usually B1 and B2 stories from the Business & Your Money section of the show. Can include other business stories.
- Crime & Justice Crime, prison, police and justice system stories
- Education All education stories
- Energy & Environment Oil & gas, renewable resources, climate change, animals, agriculture and other environmental stories
- Government & Politics All stories on government, policy and politics. Also a catch-all for stories that may not fit in another category, that have a policy/political aspect.
- Broken Use only for special series on Texas foster care system, "Broken"
- Child Welfare Use for general stories on Texas foster care system/Child Protective Services. Does not show up on Menu Bar, but used in special page design.
- Politifact Texas Weekly segment with Austin American-Statesman's Politifact editor
- Texas Decides Occasional special project on Texas voting and the legislature
- Week in Texas Politics Weekly segment with Texas Tribune editor or reporter
- Health & Science Medicine, public health, reproductive rights, scientific discovery (including environmental science) and other science stories
- Partner Organizations Use this tag for all syndicated pieces, including the more specific tab of which media outlet the story came from (e.g. Marfa Public Radio, Texas Tribune)
- Abilene Public Radio
- Dallas Morning News
- Fronteras Desk
- Heart of Texas Public Radio
- Inside Energy
- Marfa Public Radio
- Public Radio for Northeast Texas
- StateImpact Texas
- Texas Station Collaborative Select this tag, the Partner Organizations tag and the specific media outlet tag for syndicated pieces
- Texas Tribune
- West Texas Public Radio
- Race & Identity Stories specifically dealing with race, gender identity, sexual identity
- Tech & Innovation Stories about technology, computers and new inventions
- Texas News Roundup Daily Texas news roundup posts only
- Whole Shows Whole show posts only
- ZZ Back End Only Any tag that falls under this category is no longer in use, but should not be deleted since older stories were categorized under these tags. It is still useful to search using these tags if looking for older stories. Do not select this tag.
Texas Standard’s partners at KERA in Dallas talked with a young lady from Texas who had a special seat at last week’s State of the Union speech.
Fusion band Goat originates from Korpilombolo, Sweden. Hear them on this episode of the Texas Standard.
Each week Texas Standard Director Haley Howle hunts down new and exciting music for the show.
Check out the Texas Standard music playlist for January 23, 2015 via Spotify:
Know a collector, historian or just someone who may like to have a piece of President Abraham Lincoln? Today’s Dallas auction also features letters and photos. Current bids are as low as $70 and as high as $16,000.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram talked with the man behind the auction: Lincoln items to be auctioned off in Dallas
The Washington Post reports this morning on the reliance on fake engine noises in new model cars and trucks – something the Post calls ” one of the auto industry’s dirty little secrets.” And ironically, you can trace the rise of truck and muscle car engine enhancements back to hybrids like the Prius:
“Enhanced” engine songs have become the signature of eerily quiet electrics such as the Toyota Prius. But the fakery is increasingly finding its way into beefy trucks and muscle cars, long revered for their iconic growl.
For the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost, Ford sound engineers and developers worked on an “Active Noise Control” system that amplifies the engine’s purr through the car speakers. Afterward, the automaker surveyed members of Mustang fan clubs on which processed “sound concepts” they most enjoyed.