U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, took to Twitter during President Joe Biden’s first State of the Union address to critique the speech. Inflation and the economy were a big focus of the tweets, but there were also tweets on Ukraine, the border and more. Cruz called his commentary “The Real State of the Union.” We took a look at some of Cruz’s claims on the economy:
– “Biden claims he has created jobs. The Real State of the Union:We are still roughly left with 2.87 million FEWER jobs than there were in February 2020.”
– “Americans are dealing with the consequences of 40-year high Biden Inflation due to Democrats’ reckless spending.”
– “Under President Trump, the economy boomed! Inflation was low: 1.4% vs. 7.5% now. Gas was cheap: $2.38 vs. $3.61 now.”
– “In just one year, Joe Biden and the Democrats’ reckless policies have wiped out THREE YEARS of wage gains for Americans.”
– “The inflation tax is crushing the American middle class,costing the average U.S. household a staggering $5,000 a year.”
Read the full story at PolitiFact Texas/Austin American-Statesman to see how Cruz’s claims scored, and listen to an interview with PolitiFact Texas’ Nusaiba Mizan in the audio player above.