The pandemic has proved challenging for all kinds of businesses, including restaurants, which either closed or shifted to take-out and delivery offerings during lockdowns.
With the landscape for restaurants dramatically different during the past year, Texas Monthly decided to take a different approach to its annual Best New Restaurants survey. Pat Sharpe is food critic for Texas Monthly. She told Texas Standard that the magazine decided to forgo the usual top-10 list in favor of highlighting the best dishes offered by restaurants around the state.
Highlights from Texas Monthly’s roundup of best restaurant dishes:
– Desserts: King cake beignet, The Dusty Biscuit (Fort Worth)
– Cocktails: Slurping Bastard, Tiki Tatsu-Ya (Austin)
– Small plates: Roasted beet salad, Bar Loretta (San Antonio)
– Large plates: Peking duck, Duck N Bao (Houston)
– Outdoor dining: Ballpark nachos, Desert Racer (Dallas)
– Pet-friendly restaurants: The Friendly Spot, (San Antonio)