High school football season is well underway in the Lone Star State. Along the sidelines beneath those Friday night lights are some of the most well-paid people in high school education: the head coaches.

A new report by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram surveyed every Texas school district with a high school football program, in an attempt to determine how high school football coaches are paid.

Matthew Martinez says the average pay for a 5A or 6A high school football coach is $98,700.

What you’ll hear in this segment:

-How much Texas high school football coaches make on average in comparison to Texas principals and teachers

-Who some of the highest-paid coaches are, and where they coach

-How to look up the salary of your local high school’s football coach

Written by Rachel Zein.

• Mike Owens September 19, 2017 at 3:26 pm

LOL These people are always trying to create controversy. Neither coaches nor teachers are paid for the work they do. However, most high school coaches are working the equivalent of two jobs. The truth is most all high school coaches get a stipend for working at least two sports or two assignments.. They work seven days per week and get home some nights at 10:30- 3:00 am ( underlevel game nights and varsity game nights)
    Most if not all coaches also teach a full teaching schedule with the exception of an athletic period.
    The Head Coaches ( football) are usually the athletic Director or Athletic coordinator. These positions are responsible for evaluating all coaches in every sport. They are also responsible for sports budgets and equipment purchases as-well-as running the entire athletic program.
    As for the “helicopter parent” that said her chikdren are having a different priority experience in some private school, I don’t know but I am sure she had an experience where her child was not getting a lot of playing time or she had a problem with either a teacher or administrator that would not allow her to do what she wanted to do…too bad.
    This article is typical complaint from some lazy reporter or some teacher that believes the lies.
    Get your facts right. No 6A or 5A coach makes more than the building principal.
    Anyway…The article is full of inuendo, half truths and basically lies intended to imply things to support the writers narrative.
    If these people are so well paid. Then hang a whistle around your neck and start coaching instead of complaining about something you have no clue about.

• Jannet September 18, 2017 at 8:25 am

It is all driven by the mighty dollar….football brings in money to the district….the end

• Kevin September 17, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Assistant coaches only get paid a 5 to 8 K for coaching along with teacher if you calculate the hours they put in week after week equivalent to making 7.50 an hour.

• Rick September 16, 2017 at 5:52 pm

That is an absolute lie…maybe head coaches, but not the other 99% of the coaches…and besides that coaches ARE teachers, just like all the other teachers…we do the exact same thing, THEN spend 3-4 hours a day coaching!! And for that we get paid a very small STIPEND which comes out to about 15 cents an hour!!!

• Julie Keesee September 16, 2017 at 9:16 am

Those coaches that are making “close to three figure salaries” are averaging around $20 per hour IF you realize the hours they put in per week!

• Lisa Reid September 16, 2017 at 9:13 am

For Coach who responded that coaches usually get 6-10K stipend: guess what? Teachers put in tons of extra time also to prepare and teach 6-7 classes vs your 2-3. AND we get paid no stipend for that. No stipend either for most of the other little extra duties we get assigned. And we have to put real grades in, not just 95,95,95. And our classes get STAARed!

• Marvin Zinsmeyer September 17, 2017 at 11:25 am

I’m a coach and my wife is a teacher, she gets a science stipend. She’s a first year teacher and only makes about 8k less than I do. And little extra duties? Like cafeteria duty or morning duty? I don’t get home on average till 8pm and leave every morning at 545. Not even close

• Anonymous September 17, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I am a coach and I teach 5 classes. I work just as hard in the classroom. I still have to do all the planning and grading for my classes in addition to all the responsibilities that go with coaching. 100 hour weeks are common.

• Anonymous September 18, 2017 at 8:10 am

Only very FEW have those type teaching jobs. The rest do ALL that you do as they are teachers too.

• Anonymous September 18, 2017 at 10:49 am

Sorry that’s not how it is for all coaches — block schedule, two four-period days – teach 3 classes per day, one conference period on one day and athletics. I get off one week at Christmas, and one week in the Summer. Come work my schedule and then we will talk that I make too much money!

• Joel September 15, 2017 at 9:07 pm

It is really like working two jobs and having two bosses. Just saying. That’s why the the pay is much higher.

• Coach September 13, 2017 at 9:46 pm

This is what is wrong with society and social sites these days. The heading of this article leads you to believe that Texas Hs coaches make twice as much as teachers. Total BS! Maybe head coaches, but not assistants. We get a stipend to coach. Usually between 6-10k plus our teachers pay. That’s right, we teach too. So Coaches do not make twice as much as teachers, maybe head coaches, but not all as this article says. I know it mentioned head coaches, but Rachel, the heading is misleading as well as the rest of the article. Get you facts straight and don’t try and confuse people with lies.

• Frank Johnson September 12, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Coaches put in incredible hours. They work 6 or 7 days a week. Work during school holidays, and they can lose their job based upon children being able to perform at a great level.

Educators are underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated.

I have been teaching and coaching for 29 years and love what I do. I earn very penny of my salary.

• DeWayne Younberg September 11, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I listened with interest to the story today about Texas high school football coaches pay. No objection to paying market rates, but in terms of district values, check out the motto at Lake Travis High School, which was posted outside the administrative offices last time I was there. “Athletics, Academics, Arts.” Pretty clear message about district/community values.

P.S. I have two former LT students (K-8) now experiencing a different order of priorities at St. Andrews Episcopal School. 🙂